Well, After my last post, you knew this was coming. You can’t have sunshine without rain.
Hit TV shows that start to grow a little long in the tooth or have a star looking to
end their career branch out on their own often resort to the ritual suicide of the spin-off. While we all know this usually ends ugly, there are those rare exceptions that end in quality TV.
Criteria for a “Terrible” spin-off:
- Original show must have had a respectable run
- Spin-off was very short lived 1 or 2 seasons
- The Spin-off is roundly dispised by the old fans
- Cameos, that are painfully embarassing. (Helpful, not mandatory)
Caveat: Judging a Terrible Spin-Off is a lot like former Supreme Court Justice PotterStewart’s take on pornography “hard-core pornography is hard to define,but I know it when I see it.” So too is a bad spin-off.
When keepin’ it real goes wrong.
10. MTV Road Rules: Or for that matter every “Reality TV” show that ever followed the first season of “The Real World”. How can such an original, interesting, entertaining show spaw such a legacy of crap? Not just a crappy spin-off, but a crappy genre (reality tv) full of crappy shows.
Original Show: MTV The Real World
Years on TV: 1995 – Present
Cameos: Real World vs. Road Rules? (Does that count as a cameo?)
Scrappy Doo = Crappy Douche
9. Scooby and Scrappy-Doo:
This piece of dog pooh ruined my childhood. My sister and I probably could have won a class action lawsuit for what they did to the most awesome cartoon ever. That dog sucked sooooooo bad. I actually starte rooting for the ghosts.
Original Show: Scooby Doo Where Are You
Years on TV: 1979 – 1982 (The day the
music cartoons died)
Cameos: Too many to count. I wish there was a puppy killing ghoul that did a cameo.
here’s one vote for infanticide.
8. Any Show with Babies: Muppet Babies, Looney Toon Babies, Flintstone Kids, should I keep going.
Original Show: The Muppets, Looney Toons, The Flintstones
Years on TV: Who Cares?
Cameos: Who Cares?
Joanie may love Chachie, but I think he’s a dick!
7. Joanie Loves Chachi: This show took the two worst characters from the best show and spun them off. No Fonze, no Richie, not even any Ralf Mouth. Like it had a chance. At least for Chachie he would later go on to be In Charge of some hot chicks. (In real-life and on screen.)
Original Show: Happy Days
Years on TV: 1982 – 1983
Cameos: A few, but what was the point.
Little goil, you shut up. Seriously he meant that.
6. Gloria: She was an annoying interruption on All in the Family, how did they ever think that she could carry her own show. She can barely handle those Starving African Kids commercials.
Original Show: All in the Family
Years on TV: 1982 – 1983
Cameos: This show needs more Meathead
I’ll tell you how I feel about that —I feel like your show sucks!
5. Dr. Phil: Oprah isn’t bad enough? We need another hour of this bald headed retard talking to white trash losers. At least Oprah has on people who are kinda famous. This guy sucks.
Original Show: Oprah
Years on TV: 2002 – Present
Cameos: Fat Ass Oprah
4. The Ropers:
Three’s Company, but these two just plain suck. That creepy old broad and the psycho eyed freak really did not have it goin’ on.
Original Show: Three’s Company
Years on TV: 1979 – 1980
Cameos: They were missing two very important cameos, Suzanne Summers’ left and right breasts.
Nick the Dick
3. The Tortellis: Carla’s ex husband and his new hooker wife are supposed to draw my attention. This show was dead before it was born.
Original Show: Cheers
Years on TV: Four months of 1987
Cameos: It was too fast for me to see any of them.
…or should I say Blowey?
2. Joey: When Friends was winding down and this got announced, everyone knew it sucked. Well, at least they didn’t fail to meet expectations. Maybe Chandler wasn’t that bad.
Original Show: Friends
Years on TV: 2004 – 2006
Cameos: Who was watching to see any?
Drum Roll Please…………
Too bad this didn’t go MIA in the Korean War.
1. After M*A*S*H : How do you go from one of the 5 best TV shows of all time to this piece of crap? What a travesty. I almost smashed my TV set with the pliers that we used to change the NON-CABLE channel knob.
Original Show: M.A.S.H.
Years on TV: 1983 – 1985
Cameos: A corpse from M.A.S.H. (Oops, that was the script.)
Future Pick: The Grey’s Anatomy Spin-Off (Private Practice)
By the way, three shows spun off entries on My 10 Best and 10 Worst lists: Happy Days, Cheers, and All in the Family. That alone is a pretty big accomplishment.
Other Articles You May Like
Get More Updates
See some of the other places where you can connect with me out there in the wilds of the internets.