Keep the PDFs, Lose the AcroCrap
Goal: Provide a list of FREE applications that will allow you to do everything you want with PDFs while avoiding the annoying, expensive problems of Adobe Acrobat.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) is great for a number of reasons however; Adobe Acrobat (the de facto standard application) is a horrendous piece of garbage. The Acrobat Reader (Free) is painfully slow to open, has more bugs than a porch light, and love to crash browsers. The Acrobat Writer (Standard $299 or Professional $449) applications are ridiculously expensive.
Here is a list of applications that will let you get the most out of the PDF format with none of the issues:
You can use this combination of free applications to do just about everything that you would ever want from Adobe Acrobat.
- Open and Read PDF files
- Create PDF files from any document or application on your computer
- Edit PDFs by converting them into Microsoft Word documents
- Merge Multiple PFDs into a single file
- Stop PDFs from crashing your browser
- Not spend hundreds of dollars