Well, After my last post, you knew this was coming. You can’t have sunshine without rain.
Hit TV shows that start to grow a little long in the tooth or have a star looking to
end their career branch out on their own often resort to the ritual suicide of the spin-off. While we all know this usually ends ugly, there are those rare exceptions that end in quality TV.
Criteria for a “Terrible” spin-off:
- Original show must have had a respectable run
- Spin-off was very short lived 1 or 2 seasons
- The Spin-off is roundly dispised by the old fans
- Cameos, that are painfully embarassing. (Helpful, not mandatory)
Caveat: Judging a Terrible Spin-Off is a lot like former Supreme Court Justice PotterStewart’s take on pornography “hard-core pornography is hard to define,but I know it when I see it.” So too is a bad spin-off.
When keepin’ it real goes wrong.
10. MTV Road Rules: Or for that matter every “Reality TV” show that ever followed the first season of “The Real World”. How can such an original, interesting, entertaining show spaw such a legacy of crap? Not just a crappy spin-off, but a crappy genre (reality tv) full of crappy shows.
Original Show: MTV The Real World
Years on TV: 1995 – Present
Cameos: Real World vs. Road Rules? (Does that count as a cameo?)
Get More Updates
See some of the other places where you can connect with me out there in the wilds of the internets.