…How Hollywood Can Save the Training Industry
Speaker: Andy Janning (FORUM Credit Union) Topic: How to add more energy, excitement, and interest to your training by following the lessons of four “trainers” from the silver screen.
Key Point: Raise the perceived importance of training by connecting to the students. He Paralleled examples of four trainers from Hollywood Blockbusters: The Matrix, The Karate Kid, Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back, and Dirty Dancing. He showed how these four trainers managed to do the following:
- Demonstrate their mastry of the task
- Make the student “prove” that they had mastered the task
- Held the students accountable for mastry of the the task
- Made completion of the tasks “mandatory”
- Made the training about the student, not the instructor
- Put themselves in the students “hands” not shoes
- Cared about the students and their success
- Took the time to help the hard-to-reach students
About the four teachers: Morepheus- Awesome, demanding, good modeling of tasks. Mr. Miagi- Patient, taught without the student knowing they were learning, Grilled a mean burger (oops, that was Arnold from Happy Days). Yoda- Met students biggest need, calmed his fears to allow concentration on learning, Talked in a unique way he did. Jonny Cbastle- Took on a tough learner, cared more about the learner’s success than his own, uttered the phrase, “Nobody puts baby in a corner” (I guess you can’t be perfect.)
Speaker Comments: Awesome, Funny, Hoaky, Cool, He gets it! Really cool and interesting approach that he developed.
Takeaway Links: X